Thursday, March 3, 2011

Quirky


Some things make me inexplicably happy. Curvy sticks, for example. My neighbors were trimming their willow tree a few years ago and I snuck over and grabbed some of the loveliest curvy branches destined for the trash bin. They serve absolutely no use other than that they are curvy and that makes me happy. In fact, we drug them to Houston and back. As we were leaving Houston in the frustration of all the last minute packing I threw my sticks in the front yard for the trash man. Chloe found them and in tears because "mommy loves her curvy sticks" got her daddy to find a special place for them in the uhaul. My two kids have gradually added to my collection with bits and pieces of sticks they have found that look "curvy". I also love fence posts and barbed wire. I don't know why, but I do. It makes me happy.



I found a piece of curvy wire in an open field in Texas one year while traveling back from my brother's wedding. I was sure that it was going to be perfect for something. And I resisted when Chris wanted to throw it away the first time we moved. I caught his raised eyebrows the second time I loaded it up to drag it back across the country, but packed it anyways. It still sits in my garage waiting for the something that it is absolutely perfect for. I have driftwood in my kitchen washed ashore from hurricane Ike and in Aidan's room sits a large, heavy, weathered log I found outside. It's funny all the things I got rid of in the moves. But somehow my old pieces of wood made the cut every time. See what I mean, quirky? I also love rusted metal, but that is a story for another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment