Thursday, May 1, 2014

Random Thursday

Every day Aidan comes home from school and asks me if I've written a new blog. Most times, the answer is no and I try to explain that with all the laundry, cooking, cleaning, car pooling, gardening, bill paying, soccer coaching, errand running etc...sometimes I don't have time. And so today, I have a guest post from Aidan Cummings. This short story is shared completely without the permission of the author, because he is at school.


                       Cakes
Aidan Cummings                                                                 
I stared through the window, my nose pressed up against the cold, clear glass. My breath fogging up the crystal clear window, etching intricate patterns that would disappear as soon as I decided what cake I wanted. In front of me there is an oasis of pastries, everyone so pure, so perfect. My eyes glanced up and fell on a luscious lemon torte, my mouth watered as I thought of biting into the cool, sweet lemon pudding. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a dense, rich, and beautiful German chocolate cake next to a simple vanilla bean and cinnamon dainty. I glanced to the right and saw a creamy tiramisu with glazed espresso  beans on top. I sank to the ground in despair. There were just too many amazing cakes to pick from. I tried to pick but it was in vain, there was just too many options. I glanced across the street and saw a sign. I suddenly had made up my choice. I picked myself up and walked across the street. Lemon tiramisu ice cream never sounded so good.   


And because I have just named today as 'Random Thursday", here is a random photo from Israel:

 photo IMG_4623_zps16da9f0a.jpg
I'm sure this sculpture has some meaning, although I must confess, I haven't a clue what it is. We were just off the shores of the Sea of Galilee visiting the Yigal Allon Museum on the grounds of Kibbutz Ginosar.  Otherwise more famously known as the "Jesus Boat Museum". (We might have still been smarting from our trip the Mount of Beatitudes- more on that later, so we just peeked through the doors at the boat and then bought things from the gift shop. Chloe bought a sheep carved out of olive wood (what else?). I also have a picture of a older pot-bellied man wading in a speedo. And a cat. But today is just a boat-full-of-heads kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment